Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Igal-igal lost to Brazilian Samba: why not Daling-daling?

I don't understand why DBKK chose Igal-igal, modified to look like
Daling-daling with similar story lines and costumes, to show to an
international dance show at UMS.

It is the first time that I see Samba in real-life. It is impressive.
The women dancers gyrate both hips and breasts, vigoruously. The Salsa
is very complicated and gymnastically superb but it is a dance oi only
two people, unlike the Samba and other native dancers. The Africal
dancers are athletic which is similar to the Break dance routines of
the black people in USA, and now Shuffle.

The only disappointment is in the not showing of Daling-daling. It is
a match to the Samba but more gentle and has a good story. I've just
got the CD of this song for the Daling-daling dance, sung by a
Sandakan
suluk singer, Asidah Utoh. I was just told by my uncle about this and
he pointed out that there is the word Sandakan in that song.

He told me that officially Daling-daling is supposed to be from
Sempurna and the song tells about the story of someone visiting
Sandakan. I dispute this because there is hardly any Suluk in
Sempurna. Only Simunuls and other Bajau tribes. Most probably the
story is about a group of people from the Sulu islands visiting
Sandakan but according to my uncle, Daling-daling, in its present
state is developed in Sandakan.

I notice that Daling-daling is a song, copyrighted by a Filipino band
but I haven't heard the original sound-track of this song, in order
to compare with the song sung by Asidah Utoh.

The original music for the Igal-igal has no vocal song. Only the noise
of a Kulintangan. It is described by the Gemilang Sari CD that it is
based on an Eagle, but based on my observations of these dances, only
the hands move intricately. Nothing much moves. It is similar to our
local dances, but the hand movements emulating the Daling-daling which
in turn, is similar to the Belly-dancing of Morocco(I saw at a
Discovery Channel). The Egyptian Belly-dancing is mostly the movements
of the hips.

Now I theorise that Daling-daling is developed from the Belly-dancing
of Morocco(?),or some other Arabic nation, but modified for South East
Asian cultures making it similar to Thai and Indonesian dancing, with
long finger nails, tall and golden head-gears.

I really missed the video of a daling-daling performance. I'd like to
capture it on video and share it at the internet.

No comments:

antolepore.blogspot.com disappeared

antolepore.blogspot.com disappeared I had my account blocked by mistake and when they gave me my antoleporeATgmailDOTcom account back but t...